Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez
From September 26th to October 3rd 2020 and from October 4th to 9th: Voiles Superboats
The Background: undoubtedly one of the most important events, if not the most important. The history of “Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez” has been told many times.
Two yachts, “Pride” and “Ikra”, challenged each other for a bet one day in September 1981. The coastal route selected left from the Portalet tower (Saint-Tropez) to race to Club 55 (a private beach in Pampelonne bay), where Patrice de Colmont presented the winner with a hastily improvised prize called the “Club 55 Cup”.
The following year other friends joined in the fun and launched their own challenges. The event took off with Patrice de Colmont at the helm. It was he who gradually expanded it in the spirit of being en famille which made the “Nioulargue” so unique, until a tragic accident in 1995.
The event might have ended there, but thanks to pressure from competitors and other participants, this late summer regatta would be reborn and find its niche again on the October calendar in 1999.
Entrusted by Patrice de Colmont to André Beaufils, president of the Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez (sailing club), the event is now called “Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez” and is flying the flag high again, as the spirit of yesteryear lives on.
- Unites various classes of sailing yacht, both modern and classic (200-plus boats on the water).
- Provides a venue for many experienced and famous sailors.
- Offers two races a day: one for modern boats and one for classics with a different starting line for each. Weather permitting, the modern boats get in five days of racing and the classics four. In addition, tradition dictates that one day be dedicated to the “Club 55 Cup” challenges (registered and run by the Race Committee when boats in similar classes challenge each other).
- Sportsmanship, conviviality and having fun are the order of the day.
- A chance to admire, film and photograph an enchanting spectacle; a panorama of all kinds of sailing boats against the pastel coloured backdrop of Saint-Tropez!
Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez is a week-long event taking place at the end of September / early October depending on the calendar.
The provisional program of 2020
Week 1: The Voiles de Saint-Tropez
Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th September: registration for boats up to (approx.) 20 meters (except for certain classes) Monday 28th September: racing for modern yachts Tuesday 29th, Wednesday 30th September, Friday 2nd, Saturday 3rd October: racing for modern yachts and classic yachts Thursday 1st October: Challenge Day Saturday 3rdOctober: prize giving (week 1)
Week 2: The Voiles Super Boats Sunday 4th and Monday 5th October: big boat registration (Wally, IRCA, Maxi yachts, Grands Traditions, big Schooners) Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th, Thursday 8th, Friday 9th: class racing Friday 9th October: prize giving (week 2)
Trackback from your site.